Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Friday, October 17, 2014

An outing a day keeps the school work away

We only stayed home one day this week.  Oy.  I'm starting to think I'm crazy.  I'll start reigning in the outings when it gets too cold to be outside.

As it turns out, an outing a day does NOT keep the school work away ;)  The girls squeezed in their 3 R's as planned, and did their super-fun subjects, too!  Here's what we did:

Monday:

Today was our one and only stay-at-home day.  The highlight was geography in the afternoon.  As I've mentioned before, we're using Wee Folk Art as our US Geography spine.   We studied Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut by mapping them, reading about them and coloring their coloring pages in our book, reading Going Lobstering, and making buoys out of corks.  Going Lobstering is such a great book!  I learned so much (as did my girls!).


























Tuesday:

The girls did their 3 R's in the morning.  In the afternoon we did something a little bit different.  We normally go to playgroup, but we went to a NEW playgroup that we're going to go to once per month (no guarantees though),  It was nice to try something different, but I'm not sure it was worth the 35 minute drive there and hour long drive back in rush hour!
















Wednesday:

Today Elise had swimming lessons in the morning.  Millie and I played five rounds of Uno during lessons.  I only won once!  After swimming, we went directly to the farm.  It was so nice!  The girls looked for fall decorations for the dollhouse, and spent the rest of time playing with the kitties and cousins.  I sat outside by the bonfire the whole time :)  It was just what I needed!  We were supposed to leave at 3:30 to go to dance, but Millie opted to skip dance in order to go to Grandma Suzies house to play with her neighborhood friend.  Unfortunately, the neighborhood friend couldn't play. Bummer!




Thursday:

3 R's in the morning again.  In the afternoon, we went to a Nature Seekers nature study.  It just so happens that I had "nature study" on my calendar for the exact days that this nature study club is operating on.  What a cool coincidence!  It's a lot more fun to do this kind of thing with friends, I think.  We'll probably still do our own nature study, but this will certainly help with my accountability.  It was 70 degrees in Minnesota today, making it an absolutely perfect day to spend outside!







Friday:

We started out the day by going to piano lessons, and ran a few errands to PetSmart and the Girl Scout Store.  After lunch, we had our first Girl Scout meeting!  It was super fun!  You can read all about it, here.  Unfortunately we didn't get to all the school work I had hoped, but considering the public schools have been off for the past 3 days, I don't feel quite as guilty as I would otherwise ;)

This is Elise being "courageous and strong," fighting off vicious alligators.  She's trying to prove that she should earn her Tula petal for her Girl Scout vest.  He he.



That sums up our week.  Find out what other homeschoolers did this week, here.



No comments:

Post a Comment