Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Friday, January 16, 2015

SciGirls, Nature Study, and Back to School (For Me!)

The weekly reading list

This was kind of a selfish week.  My days normally revolve (very much) around the kids.  This week, I had to focus on starting school (for my first time in 18 years!).  It kind of threw me for a loop.  The huge influx of assignments all at once was a bit of a shock to my system.  It took nearly all week to figure out how to manage my time.  I *think* I have things under control, now.  I have an uncanny ability to put more and more "stuff" on my plate, and manage just fine.  So, here I am, a teacher and a student.

Here's what we did this week:

Monday:


Piano was rescheduled this week, so we got up bright and early on Monday for piano lessons.  When we got home, we got right to school!  The girls finished quickly so we could do a little nature study in the afternoon.  It was the first of a 52 week project.  We went into the woods to make observations.  Millie picked out a tree that she's going to learn all about over the next year.  I left the kids in the park when we were done so they could sled with friends.  When they got home, Millie made dinner (Chinese pork chops)!  It was delish!

















Tuesday:

All of our fun Tuesday plans were thwarted by my own personal school orientation.  It was kind of a bummer of a day.  The girls spent most of the day at the condo watching TV and playing with their tablets while I was getting school stuff ready.  The good part of the day is that I got all my school books!  Squeeee!

Wednesday:

SciGirls!  Our favorite day of the month!  This week the girls learned about physics and friction, and ended the class by ice skating together.  It was so much fun :)  While Millie had SciGirls, Elise attended nature study class with dad.  She "sort of liked" class, which is a huge improvement from the last time.  The best part was when they found a set of coyote tracks tracking a set of bunny tracks.  It was pretty cool.


Thursday:




This evening was my first class, Earth Science!  It was so much fun.  I'm really looking forward to this class.  My plan is to teach the girls Earth Science next year, so I'm brushing up on my skills ;)  During the day, we just did school, and hung out at home.





Friday:



Another day that was "ruined" by my schooling.  Millie had a fun sledding event to attend, but I needed to stay home and get my school work done.  I'm so close to being done, and I really don't want to have to think about school over the weekend.  So, we stayed home.  We managed to make some time for a nature hike.  We learned about and looked for animal habitats.  





That sums up our week!  Find out what other homeschoolers were up to, here.

This weekend will bring a piano recital  and play practice for Millie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment